Monday, August 13, 2012

Back to College Part 2: What to wear and what NOT to wear to class


So I think the question a lot of people want to know is what exactly do I wear to classes? I think a lot of people get confused on what to wear because of freshman orientation. Generally at freshman orientation someone at some point will say something to the effect of, “Now make sure that you don’t wear pajamas to class because it looks bad to your teachers. You need to wear nice decent clothes all the time.” But from there that leaves us to decide our personal definition of “nice decent clothes”. So I am going to tell you my personal opinion of what to wear to class based on what I have experienced people wearing at my college (and by things that I have worn).

THE BIG WHAT NOT TO WEAR: PAJAMAS (By pajamas I literally mean anything that looks like lingerie, cartoon printed pants, footy pajamas, ect.) They make you look sloppy and unprepared, and they can even make it hard for you to focus. Professors love to pick out the student who wear pajamas to answer questions because they are generally the less prepared focused students, they are also more likely to fall asleep in class. Bottom Line: NO PAJAMAS.

What to Wear Instead: Yoga Pants with a tank top and sweatshirt, also sometimes sweat pants.
Yoga Pants are acceptable classroom wear, but I would stick with just basic black ones and then pair it with a tank top and a sweatshirt, or a t-shirt. Sweatshirts are a good choice, especially during the winter (because it’s cold), but all of the time because class rooms are generally freezing. Sweat pants and a t-shirt are also acceptable most of the time, as long as you look decent and not sloppy like you literally just rolled out of bed.

I wanted to focus mainly on Pajamas because they seem to be one of the biggest what not to wears. Then I decided to make this nifty little chart here to show you some comparisons on what is appropriate vs. what is not.

WHAT TO WEAR
WHAT NOT TO WEAR
Jeans
Leggings as Pants (Unless you legitimately think you can pull them off)
Shorts (of an appropriate length)
Pajamas
T-shirts
Shirts with holes in them
Tennis Shoes, Boots, Flip flops, ect.
(almost any shoe is appropriate besides heels)
No shoes (Please wear shoes…PLEASE.)
Business Casual Dress
(Polo’s, khakis, blouses, ect.)
Any dress that might be worn for a night out, a prom dress, or to the club
Yoga Pants, Sweat pants
Heels (Unless you absolutely must, and if you do be smart and take a pair of flats)
Jackets, Sweatshirts, Cardigans
Crop tops (Without a tank underneath)
College themed gear
High school themed gear (Dear freshman, this means NO LETTERMAN JACKETS.)

 And now some pictures of college appropriate dress, for inspiration!

photo via  Victoria's Secret



Pinned Image
Photo via  Fashion Worship

Pinned Image  Pinned Image
photo via Congress Clothing                                                   Photo via  Sperry

Now I'm excited for all these cute things I want to wear to class! Comment and tell me what your favorite clothing item to wear to class is!


2 comments:

  1. The jumper with the anchor on is soooo cute! I'm currently nursing clothes lust. When I go to uni I tend to just wear jeans, boots and a jumper/long-sleeved top (because it is freeeeeeeezing in the UK already!!) I'm yet to witness anyone wearing pajamas to lectures over here but we'll see, there's a first for everything! Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I wish it would start getting cold here it still feels like summer, which is nice but I'm more than ready to wear cute boots and scarves. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete