Sunday, August 19, 2012

College Series Part 3: Dorm Decorating

So today I have my bestie Katelyn from I Make My Own Sunshine guest posting over here so that yall can have some information about what you need for a dorm. I asked her to write this guest post  because she has lived in a dorm and I have not, so I can't really help yall that much with what essentials you need for a dorm!
ENJOY! :)




So, I just finished my first year college. I lived on campus and I am living on campus again this year. My best friend asked me to do a blog about things you need for a dorm. Not only things you need, but how to do it in a cute and fun way. I attend Texas Sate University in San Marcos, and the dorm I live in was community style.


So there are a couple of things that you should have in my opinion.

The Basics
  • Bedding
    • Most college dorms will have twin size beds. 
    • Go in to shopping for your dorm with a color or theme in mind. 
      • It helps tie everything together and make it feel like home a little more.
    • If you have a roommate and you want to collaborate y'all's decor make sure you talk with them, and come up with something that you both like. 
      • Yes, you both will be living there, but you also want to come back to a place that you can call your own. 
    • Most store will sell sets, where everything from the fitted sheet to the and pillowcases and comforter are all in the same bag. 
      • Ranging form 20$'s and up. 
  • Clothing
    • You will need to bring everything you will need for the semester.
      • I live in Texas, so i need a wide range of clothes because the weather is so random!
      • If you live in an area that has rain a lot, rain boots a rain coat and an umbrella will make walking to class in the rain a little more bearable.
    • SHOES! 
      • I brought all of my shoes and I were them all, you will never regret bringing that extra pair of shoes.
  • Bathroom.
    • There is a wide range of bathrooms on campus. It may be community, or it could be suit style.
    • SHOWER SHOES! Never risk it, you do not want to get a fungus!
    • More than two towels, I personally have three of each of my towels! 
    • When you buy stuff for college, I suggest you buy in bulk and get it out at once so you are not going back and forth to the store every month!
  • Decore!
    • I brought things that make me fill at home. That way when I wake up I fell safe and at home not in a random place!
    • Keep your roommate in mind when you decorate. You might not want them to be offended by something. It is better to play it safe and ask.




2 comments:

  1. Good ideas!! I love the collaborating ideas so the room is matchy-matchy! Love the blog..now following!!

    http://fromragstotags.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I won't be living in a dorm, but I think these are good tips for apartments too!
    http://photosbylmb.com/

    ReplyDelete