Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I've Got BIG Dreams!

As all of you know this blog is centered around dreams, and on the fact that you can do anything to make them come true. Though I haven't talked about it much I just started at a brand new college, a college that is great, the teachers are fantastic, and the campus is beyond beautiful. But after two weeks I realized that as much as I though that this was my DREAM college, the one that I was absolutely supposed to go, the only one that I applied to and spent months waiting to find out if I was accepted, it was not. Though I still love everything about the school, I hate being there.

Then there was the kicker, I wanted to change my major. I really did some digging into the field that I know I want to pursue and I realized that a degree in English, while it still could be good for my field, is not the best. And personally I want the best degree I can have to be prepared for the field I want to pursue. 

I believe that when you are spending so much to get an education (hello! 40,000 tuition) that you should make sure you are getting what you want. It is hard enough spending 40,000 for two years (I went to a community college for two years and I am extremely glad that I owe nothing on those years) I can't imagine the people that spent 40,000 on four years. No judgement to those that did, I know that there are a lot of scholarships available, and financial aid, but still 40,000 is a lot. And I can definitely not justify spending 40,000 a year getting a degree that I am one, unhappy with, two, is not very useful and three, at a school that I am not enjoying my classes, neither my time at. Now I know that picking the wrong school is partially my fault. I allowed myself to fall in love with the amazing student to teacher ratio, and the gorgeous campus, and all the things to get involved in and didn't do the research about my field, my degree, or if the school even offered what I need. 

As it turns out, the school I am going to does not offer the degree that I want. Now that was a HUGE bummer. They offer something kinda-ish like it, but its not a good program, and its not the exact degree. So I was at a loss, not entirely knowing what to do next. So I did what I do best and I researched. The first thing I knew what that I was going to need to change schools. In looking for schools I considered the degree and the location. I want to get a degree in broadcast journalism, and to do that I really need to be some where near the Metroplex area. The town that my college located in is small-ish and has like one TV station, and since I want to go into news being near several TV stations is going to be crucial in looking for jobs and internships. So I spent quite a bit of time researching my options and ended up applying to four different schools. FOUR. This is from the girl who has only ever applied to two colleges. But I am very happy with the four schools that I applied to, they all offer the right degree, Broadcast Journalism, and are located in the right area. Win, Win. 

So now that I have applied to some new schools, I am about to begin the process of packing my things (since I am moving), beginning the search of looking for someone to sublet my apartment, and crossing my fingers and waiting to hear back from the schools I applied to. 

Wish me luck as I pack, move, look for a job, and wait to hear back from my schools! 
Hopefully i'll be back with an update soon, and some good news!




No comments:

Post a Comment